Do you ever find yourself in a baking rut? You know, that creative block where you just can’t decide what flavour cake to make. Or what icing to match with your chocolate cake, or lemon cake, or vanilla cake….. you get my drift!
Well never fear friends, I’ve got a bucket load of cake flavour ideas to share with you today!
Let me share with you a list of my favourite cake and icing flavour combinations going around.
Do you love this content? Maybe your friend will too! Don’t forget to share on socials! It’s a big help to me and your support means the world.
Right let’s get into it!
Frosting Ideas for Vanilla Cake
Vanilla is a very versatile flavour, it basically pairs with every flavour frosting imaginable. Truly, if there is a flavour that doesn’t pair well with vanilla, I don’t know it. Some of the more common buttercream flavours for a vanilla cake include:
- Fruity: strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, apple, pear, passionfruit, mango, peach
- Tea: english breakfast, earl grey, matcha, chai
- Tart: lemon, lime
- Sweet: caramel, coconut, white chocolate
- Spice: cinnamon, mixed spice, pumpkin spice
- Bitter: coffee, chocolate, mocha
- Nutty: almond, nutella, peanut butter
Frosting Ideas for Chocolate Cake
The richness of chocolate pairs well with nutty, sweet, bitter and spice flavours. In my opinion chocolate doesn’t pair so well with tart flavours, but basically everything else is on the table.
- Bitter: chocolate, coffee, mocha
- Sweet: caramel, marshmallow, coconut, vanilla, cookies and cream
- Nutty: nutella, peanut butter, almond, walnuts, pecan
- Spice: chilli, mixed spice, ginger, mint
- Fruity: mixed berries, orange
Frosting Ideas for Caramel Cake
Caramel pairs wonderfully with flavours that balance out its sweetness. My favourites include:
- Fruits: apple, pear, banana
- Bitter: chocolate, coffee
- Spice: cinnamon
- Sour: Cream Cheese
- Salty: Vanilla frosting with bacon or pretzels mixed in
Frosting Ideas for Banana Cake
We all know that banana cake with cream cheese or lemon frosting is a win. I’m also a fan of any flavours mirror a banana split.
- Sour: lemon, cream cheese
- Sweet: caramel, butterscotch
- Bitter: chocolate
- Nutty: Peanut Butter, Nutella
Frosting Ideas for Lemon Cake
The tart of a lemon cake works well with a sweet or sour flavoured frosting. In my opinion, it’s best to avoid creamy flavours.
- Sour: lime, cream cheese
- Sweet: vanilla meringue
- Fruity: blueberry, blackberry, banana, strawberry
- Herbs: thyme, lavender, rosemary, elderflower
- Tea: english breakfast, earl grey
Bonus: 10 Unique Cake Flavour Combinations
Lastly, a shout out to some classic but uncommon flavours that will surprise and impress at any occasion.
When I’m in a true baking rut, I always reach for a recipe that’s a little different to what I normally make.
There’s nothing like stepping a little out of your comfort zone for getting those creative juices flowing
Here’s my top 10 favourite uniquely delicious cake flavours
- Maple and bacon cake with maple frosting
- Lime cake with corona frosting
- Vanilla cake with beer frosting
- Coconut cake with lime frosting
- Lemon cake with toasted meringue frosting
- Almond cake with rose frosting
- Matcha cake with white chocolate frosting
- Honey cake with lavender frosting
- White chocolate cake with passionfruit frosting
- Coconut cake with pinapple frosting